Monday, August 15, 2011

What I did this summer

During the first week of school I had all my kids write essays about what they did over the summer. I wanted to asses their writing skills and was also curious about what high school kids in American Samoa do during the summer. Most of the essays were not all that interesting, but there were a couple that made me smile. Here's my favorite one from one of my sophomores:


On the first day of summer I asked my first cousin to cut my hair. I thought he knew how to cut my hair. Unfortunately, he did not. Everyone liked my new hair cut but I didn't because I was bald. I wasn't bald completely, but my hair was rather very very short.


Two weeks later my hair started growing back but it was hot. I waited until my other cousin came back from volleyball because I saw how he cuts hair. When he returned he cut it to a much better version than the first one. He said I have a receding hairline and that I was going to go bald.


I was very nervous so I went swimming to ease the tension. I completely forgot that I could not swim at all. I jumped into the ocean and soon realized that. For five full minutes I was swimming. That was until a wave hit me and then I wasn't swimming anymore. So this is a part of what I did in the summer.

2 comments: